[ih] Another birthday?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Mar 30 16:41:48 PST 2006

    > From: Craig Partridge <craig at aland.bbn.com>

    > Dunno about Yeager's router

Yeager's was in '81, IIRC. In any event, that's not what's special about
Yeager's and mine - ours were notable as the first *multi-protocol* routers.

(It's a somewhat dated notion now, because everyone just runs TCP/IP, but
multi-protocol routers were an important stepping-stone to widespread network
deployment back when there were lots of competing protocols (IP, CHAOS, XNS,
etc) - multi-protocol routers meant you didn't have to have separate
infrastructure for each protocol.)

    > the first IP router (Ginny Strazisar's) came up in late 1976
    > so we're getting close to 30 years of routers.

Yes, another important milestone. I wonder what the exact date was! Maybe a
quarterly report pins it down?

	Noel