[ih] Query: When did the IETF change to "everyone can come"?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Dec 4 20:48:43 PST 2006

    > From: Craig Partridge <craig at aland.bbn.com>

    >>> The 5th IETF was, I believe, open to anyone.

    >> Craig, I'm not sure that "open to anyone" is really an apt
    >> description; I'm not sure that some random person coming in off the
    >> street would have been allowed in.

    >> E.g. look at the attendance list from IETF 6. ...

    > Hi Noel, where you say "6", do you mean "5"?

No, I was looking at the attendee list from IETF 6. I can't find the minutes
from IETF 5; I don't have a hardcopy, and the IETF Secretariat's online
repository of minutes (http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/directory2.html)
doesn't have 5.

If you (or Scott) still has your hardcopy, it would be an invaluable service
if you could lend them to get them scanned...

    > IETF 6 was very big -- doubled the size of "5" and reflected a serious
    > desire on Phill Gross' part to expand participation. .. 6 was at BBN
    > and one reason was we had a big auditorium .. suitable for the
    > anticipated increase in size.

Yes, but most of that was that it was held jointly with some other standards
committtee, some ANSI group, IIRC (not sure exactly what it was).  But you're
right, I suppose holding it jointly like that was an attempt by Phill to bring
in more people.

Still, were ANSI committees fully open? I thought they had entrance barriers,
too.

	Noel