[ih] NIC 7104 (ARPANET Protocol Handbook)

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Apr 28 06:07:56 PDT 2006

In message <7.0.0.16.0.20060427190728.01d0c008 at alum.mit.edu>, Mike Padlipsky wr
ites:

>It is suggested that a modest volume of mail service should be free;
>i.e., it may be entered before a USER command.
>
>since i know he knew the difference between i.e. and e.g., having
>discussed it with him at some length [i won't say taught it to him,
>honest i won't] when i did rfc 491.  he also knew the base ftp spec
>allowed Hosts, especially multics, to require a user command before
>mail, or any other command, was sent.  so i think that by occam's
>razor the choice between jon had an utterly uncharacteristically bad
>day when 'he' wrote this thing and he didn't write this thing must
>fall to the latter.

Hi MAP:

So this comment raises a bunch of questions:

* If you read Wayne Hathaway's note of 10 February 1978 from HEADER-PEOPLE
    (appended), it is clear that most folks did not expect to log into
    (via USER) before delivering email.  Sounds like the Multicians
    expected it.  So how did mailers handle this? Did they try MLFL and
    when it bounced with a 5xx message say, "oh $%!, its a Multics
    machine?" and try a USER ANONYMOUS command.  Or did they do something
    smarter, or did Multics just not get all the mail coming to it?

* If you read the NIC document, it appears that the ARPANET was a messy
    place with people running "Old FTP" (apparently defined by RFC 454
    bizarrely enough, as 454 is actually the announcement of the 1973
    FTP meeting with a discussion draft attached) and "New FTP" (the
    product of the 1973 meeting)...  Did people just drop everything
    to do work on TCP[/IP]?

Craig