[ih] questions on arpanet

rdandi at luiss.it rdandi at luiss.it
Wed Sep 22 10:24:12 PDT 2004

Hi all!

I am new in this list. I am Roberto Dandi, Italian PhD in organizational behavior, working at Luiss (Roma, Italy). I am collecting studies and data on the organizational and social issues of Arpanet. In particular I am interested in studying how and to what extent CMC technologies (email, online RFCs...) impacted on coordination and identification within the early arpanet community.

I have three questions:

1) Email traffic: is there any statistics on the use of email in arpanet in the period 1972-1978? In some documents I found reference to a study according to which in 1973 email traffic was about 75% of the whole traffic in arpanet. Do you know where can I find this study? In RFCs I found only traffic statistics (by McKenzie) that do not distinguish email traffic.

2) Host network traffic: is there any statistics on the transfer of information from host to host? I mean, for example, how many data UCLA transferred from/to SRI or from/to other nodes? (in the period 1969-1978). Again, RFCs by McKenzie report synthetic traffic statistics, they do not specify the one to one relations.

3) The hardest question (I think): members affiliations and status. Studying RFCs I found the affiliations of the RFC authors in NWG (see attached file). I am interested also in finding which are the previous affiliations of these authors (before entering the arpanet) and the status they had during arpanet (senior or junior researcher). Does anybody know how can I fill in the blank spaces in my XL file?

Thanks so much
best regards
Roberto Dandi

--
Roberto Dandi
Ph. D. in Organisational Behaviour
e-mail: rdandi at luiss.it
web-site: http://www.geocities.com/robertodandi

Your mail has been scanned by InterScan VirusWall.