[ih] spam...

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Jan 21 10:45:54 PST 2003

On 20 Jan 2003 23:43:53 -0500
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> wrote:

> "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com> writes:
> > At 02:53 PM 1/20/2003 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > >Reputedly there are now filters in place on the list -- I suggest that
> > >HTML tags be added to the filter list.
> >
> > Some of us aren't Luddites who fear every innovation like the
> > villagers in Frankenstein.
>
> Neither do I, but if you're doing blocking on a mailing list, 95% of
> the spam has html and 95% of the legitimate mail doesn't.

well, that's like most of the spamassasin criteria - they correlate well with spam when you consider large aggregates of diverse traffic but this doesn't necessarily work well for a topical list with a self-selecting population.

there's nothing inherently wrong with HTML.  of course if the list wants to have a no HTML policy, there's nothing inherently wrong with that either.

--
I tried enlightenment but it kept crashing.