[ih] Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan chris at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 14 07:26:58 PST 2003

	I absolutely agree with this thread (Rahmat/David/Simone's comments)
	on preserving IDs to record the evolution of design, i.e. our
	history.  The "path" can be more interesting than the "end result".

	Since my focus (this last year ) has been on the early Arpanet
	design issues, I have been aided by the abundance of RFCs which discuss
	a specific design.  (of course, I still wish that more minutes of the
	design meetings were preserved   -- if anyone has any non-published
	minutes 1969-1974 please let me know ....;-)

------>	It's important to note that the early RFCs functioned in the role
	of both of the following:
		* today's Internet Drafts, and
		* email: some of the early RFCs would today just have been
		  in today's email archives of the working groups.

	While current IETF working groups seem to be great about archiving
	email, a similar issue of lost resources seems to be occurring when
	working groups conclude.   At this point, no email archive is linked
	into the IETF web pages that describe the work of the concluded
	groups...   http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/OLD/index.html

	So, I suggest that the IETF web masters should archive
	the concluded email as well.

	Thanks, Chris

--
The University of Texas at Austin  TAY 4.136; +1 512 471 9546    Fax: 471 8885
Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan           My email addresses are: chris at cs.utexas.edu
Computer Sciences Department          or dragon at cs.utexas.edu
1 University Station C0500         URL:  www.cs.utexas.edu/users/chris/
Austin, TX   78712-1188            Fedex: please send to Taylor Hall 2.124