[ih] creation date for IANA?

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Tue Mar 19 13:28:41 PST 2002

"Eric A. Hall" wrote:

> Does anybody have evidence or I-was-there knowledge of the month and
> year that the office of IANA was formally established?

I resorted to grep. :/

The first mention of the IANA acronym is RFC 1174:

 | Network Working Group                                         V. Cerf
 | Request for Comments:  1174                                      CNRI
 |                                                           August 1990
 |
 | IAB Recommended Policy on Distributing Internet Identifier Assignment
 |                                 and
 |     IAB Recommended Policy Change to Internet "Connected" Status
 |

 | Status of this Memo
 |
 |  This informational RFC represents the official view of the Internet
 |  Activities Board (IAB), and describes the recommended policies and
 |  procedures on distributing Internet identifier assignments and
 |  dropping the connected status requirement.

Unless otherwise informed, I will assume that since the IANA acronym does
not appear in any of the earlier RFCs -- including any of the assigned
numbers documents -- that the office was established as the formal
representation of the ISI function in 1990.