[ih] Book on the History of Internet Protocols

Philip J. Nesser II phil at nesser.com
Wed Aug 1 11:43:36 PDT 2001

Hi Everyone,

I just want this list to know that I have been working with a number of
"oldtimers" to put together a book on the history of Internet protocols.
The going has been slow and I only have commitments from about a dozen or so
people to write essys.  So I am opening a call here for people to contact me
if they are interested in being contributors.

I am looking for essays from about 5 pages in length (up to your hearts
content in length).  I am looking for something that describes the evolution
of a protocol, not a technical description of a protocol.  There are plenty
of books/articles on how FOO behaves.  I am looking for something on why FOO
was concieved and how/why FOO evolved from FOOv1 to FOOv2 and so one.  Why
was the header field BAR put in and why.  What were the competing protocols
to FOO and why did it die.  Who were the leading proponents and why did it
carry the day?  Hopefully you get the idea.

I don't really care whether its a major protocol or a minor one.  I don't
really care if I get different viewpoints of the same thing.  So if you were
there or have intimate knowledge of some protocol please don't hesitate to
contact me.  It could even be something you wrote years ago, as long as it
can be published.

The book is intended to be dedicated to Jon and his work and dedicated to
the Internet protocol suite.

Phil

P.S.  For those of you on the list who have commited to an essay and I
haven't heard from you for a while, take this as a not so subtle hint to
talk to me and let me know where things stand.

P.P.S.  I will be in London for the IETF next week so feel free to talk to
me.  There are some of you I will be looking for :-)

Philip J. Nesser II                                      President & CTO
CISSP, CCNA, CCDA, MCSE                       Nesser & Nesser Consulting
(425) 481-4303 (voice)                         13501 100th Ave NE, #5202
(425) 482-9721 (fax)                                  Kirkland, WA 98034
phil at nesser.com (email)                                   www.nesser.com
page-phil at nesser.com (text msg, 120 characters max)