[dnssec-coord] Thoughts on when to designate a newgTLD as "Operational" in DNSSEC deployment maps?

Marco Davids (SIDN) marco.davids at sidn.nl
Fri Apr 25 04:20:31 PDT 2014

On 15-04-14 22:05, Dan York wrote:

> I have a question upon which I'd love your advice/feedback.  In the
> DNSSEC Deployment Maps[1] that we distribute weekly we do include the
> current status of all the newgTLDs.

> So far I have just
> indicated when they have a "DS in Root"

> The question is how to know when to move them to "Operational" status
> meaning that they are accepting signed delegations from
> registrars/registrants.

Let me see if I get this right...

DNSSEC is an ICANN requirement for new gTLD's, correct?

The applicant guidebook, specification 6, section 1.3 states:

"Registry Operator shall accept public-key material from child domain
names in a secure manner according to industry best practices."

How can a new gTLD become operational without DNSSEC being operational
at the same time?

Regards,

--
Marco