[dnssec-coord] Thoughts on when to designate a newgTLD as "Operational" in DNSSEC deployment maps?

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Tue Apr 15 15:04:42 PDT 2014

Dan,

Background, which you know but others may not:

For the ccTLDs, I was indeed using direct reporting and accepting whatever a reliable contact for the ccTLD operator reported.  (There is also a field to encode the likely credibility of the data.  If it comes from someone in the TLD registry itself, the code is 3.  If it comes from someone in a related operation, e.g. a registrar, the code is 2.  Anything else is 1.  The only thing more reliable is automated testing, which gets a code of 4, and that applies only to those pieces of data that are directly testable, e.g. DS in the root at the time of probing.)

As you’ve pointed out, this is labor intensive and doesn’t scale very well.  I basically like your idea, but instead of arbitrarily picking a threshold, how about talking to a small handful of the registries to find out what their process is for moving from “partial”, e.g. the SOA is signed, to “operational”, i.e. accepting signed delegations.

Thanks,

Steve